John Amos, Bedford County, Pennsylvania gunsmith

Introduction: John Amos was a significant Bedford County, Pennsylvania gunmaker, and one of the few who made rifles in the flintlock era that have survived.

1800: Calculating from information on his tombstone, John Amos was born in 1800. The Whiskers' 2017 book "Gunsmiths of Bedford County, Pennsylvania" states that the birthplace of John Amos was Gloucestershire, in England. The 1850 and 1860 census records of Bedford County indicate that John Amos was born in Pennsylvania.

1810: A John Amos household is entry no. 105 in the Southampton Township portion of the 1810 census records of Bedford County, Pennsylvania. This is far too early for the gunsmith to appear as the head of a household if he was born in 1800. He may be one of the two males who are represented in the "under ten years of age" column. (The 1810 John Amos census record linked above is a composite comprising tabular information from one page and a table header from another page.)

1814-1817: The Whiskers' 1983 booklet "Gunsmiths and Gunmakers of Bedford and Somerset Counties Pennsylvania 1770-1900" indicates that an individual named John Amos was taxed in Southampton Township, Bedford County from 1814 to 1817 and speculates that this John Amos may be the father of the gunsmith John Amos.

1820: I did not find a listing for John Amos in the 1820 Bedford Borough or Bedford township census records. A Peggy Amos appears in the Southampton Township portion of the 1820 census records of Bedford County, Pennsylvania. (The 1820 Peggy Amos census record linked above is a composite comprising tabular information from one page and a table header from another page.)

1825: A secondary source indicates that Rebecca Border, a daughter of Johannes "John" Border and Mary Magdalena Black, married John Amos on March 29, 1825.

Johannes "John" Border was the father of the following Bedford County gunsmiths:

  • William Border,

  • Samuel Border, and

  • Enos Border.

    Two of the children of John and Rebecca (Border) Amos have the middle name "Border".

    Here is an outline of how I currently understand the members of the Border family who were gunsmiths in Bedford County (including John Border's son-in-law John Amos):

    This schematic shows how the gunsmiths in the Border family are related.

    1826: The 2001 Whisker & Yantz book states that a child of an individual named John Amos was baptized in the old 1806 log church, which overlooks Schellsburg. The Whiskers' 2017 book indicates that the baptism occurred in 1826. I think this baptism is Christian M. Stouffer's wife Mary Ellen (Amos) Stouffer, who died in 1894 and is buried in the Schellsburg Cemetery. A website indicates she was born on April 9, 1826, but does not give the names of her parents. A newspaper article (below) indicates that John Amos had a son-in-law named Stouffer.

    1828: The Lutheran records from the Union Church in Bedford indicate that John and Rebecca Amos had a daughter named Elizabeth Margareth who was born on September 16, 1828 and baptized on May 31, 1829. In the November 2021 issue of the "Muzzle Blasts" magazine, Jim Whisker describes this child as Elizabeth Margaret McMullen and indicates she died in 1904.

    1829-1832: The Whiskers' 1983 booklet "Gunsmiths and Gunmakers of Bedford and Somerset Counties Pennsylvania 1770-1900" puts John Amos in the borough of Bedford from 1829 to 1832.

    1830: Click here to see the John Amos listing in the Bedford Township portion of the 1830 census records of Bedford County, Pennsylvania.

    1831: The Lutheran records from the Union Church in Bedford indicate that John and Rebecca Amos had a daughter named Rebecca who was born on March 13, 1831 and baptized on June 25, 1831. The following obituary of Mrs. Rebecca (Amos) Akers indicates she was born on March 13, 1831 in Bedford Town and was a sister of Samuel B. and Frank M. Amos. Samuel B. and Frank M. Amos were sons of the gunsmith John Amos, so Rebecca Akers was a daughter of John Amos. Rebecca Akers is buried in the Oak Ridge Cemetery in Blair County, Pennsylvania where her tombstone includes the inscription, "Rebecca Akers 1831-1911".

    obituary of Rebecca Akers, a daughter of John and Rebecca (Border) Amos.

    1833: In the November 2021 issue of the "Muzzle Blasts" magazine, Jim Whisker mentions a John Amos long rifle that has an 1833 date.

    1833-1867: The Whiskers' 1983 booklet refers to John Amos as a farmer, whitesmith, and gunsmith and puts him in Bedford Township of Bedford County from 1833 to 1867. Here is the definition of a whitesmith from Webster's 1874 "A Dictionary of the English Language":

    The definition of a whitesmith from Webster's 1874 dictionary.

    1833: The Lutheran records from the Union Church in Bedford indicate that John and Rebecca Amos had a son named John who was born on April 13, 1833 and baptized on March 14, 1834. The obituary of John Amos, Jr. appears in the February 22, 1901 issue of the "Bedford Gazette" newspaper and indicates he was born in 1833 and was a son of John and Rebecca Amos:

    Lieut John Border Amos
    The subject of this sketch was born on April 13, 1833, on the old Amos farm near Bedford now owned by Adam Sellers and died on February 20, 1901, at his home in Bedford township. He was aged sixty-seven years, ten months and seven days.The deceased was a son of John and Rebecca Amos. He served his country during the civil war as a member of Company D, 55th regiment, Pennsylvania volunteers, enlisting as a private on October 12, 1861. He was promoted successively to corporal, sergeant, 1st sergeant and to second lieutenant, June 8, 1865, and was mustered out on August 30, 1865. At the battle of Cold Harbor Lieutenant Amos was severely wounded. He married Miss Sarah Mower, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Mower, of Rainsburg. Twelve children were born to them, three of whom - William, Frank and an infant daughter - preceded him to the spirit world. His wife and the following children survive him: Mrs. William Arnold, of Bedford township; Jennie and May, of Philadelphia; Charles, of San Jose, Central America; Annie and Sallie, at home; Ralph, of Bedford township; Ross, of Altoona and Mrs. George Householder, of Pittsburg. He is also survived by four brothers and two sisters - Daniel W., of Saxton; Samuel B., of Bedford township; Frank M., of Hendricks, W. Va.; Josiah, of Bedford borough; Mrs. Rebecca Akers, of Altoona, and Mrs. Elizabeth McMullin, of Missouri. Funeral services will be held tomorrow afternoon at two o'clock at the home of decedent and will be conducted by Rev. M. D. Culler, of the Lutheran church. Interment in the Bedford cemetery. Lieutenant Amos was an enthusiastic hunter and an ardent disciple of Izak Walton. He knew the haunts of the big bass and timid trout and frequently acted as guide for fishing parties composed of guests at our summer resorts. He was an honest, kind-hearted man and had many friends who will sincerely mourn his death.

    1835: The Lutheran records from the Union Church in Bedford indicate that John and Rebecca Amos had a son named Daniel who was born on November 4, 1835 and baptized on February 8, 1836. His obituary in the September 24, 1909 issue of the "Bedford Gazette" newspaper includes the following: "Daniel W. Amos, machinist and a master at his trade, died at Saxton on Sunday, September 19, of hemorrhages, aged 75 years, 10 months and 15 days. He was born in Bedford in 1833 and was a son of the late John Amos. November 26, 1863, he was married to Miss Margaret Cypher, who preceded him to the world beyond. Deceased was a brother of the late Josiah Amos of this place. ..."

    1838: The following death certificate of John Amos' son Samuel indicates he was born on July 7, 1838:

    The death certificate of Samuel, a son of John Amos.

    The following obituary of Samuel Amos (son of John and Rebecca Amos) is from the October 22, 1920 issue of the "Bedford Gazette" newspaper. It indicates that Samuel was raised in Bedford Township, which puts John Amos in Bedford Township in roughly the 1838 to 1856 timeframe. In the November 2021 issue of the "Muzzle Blasts" magazine, Jim Whisker indicates that Samuel Amos's middle name is Border.

    The obituary of Samuel Amos, a son of John and Rebecca Amos.

    1839: The following excerpt from the 1884 book "History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties Pennsylvania" indicates that John Amos was a Bedford County Auditor in 1839. This is too early to be a reference to John Border Amos, who was born in 1833.

    This publication indicates that John Amos was a Bedford County Auditor in 1839.

    1839: The Whiskers' 1983 booklet indicates that John Amos appears in a bond record for the estate of Benjamin Amos on April 19, 1839.

    1840: John Amos is enumerated in the Bedford Township portion of the 1840 census records of Bedford County, Pennsylvania as being in the 30-40 age bracket. Living in his household are two males under five years old, one male in the 5-10 age bracket, two males in the 10 to 15 age bracket, and one female in the 40-50 age bracket. The following image is a composite image made with part of a table from the Bedford Township records and (for improved legibility) a table header from another part of the 1840 census records of Bedford County.

    The John Amos household in the 1840 census records of Bedford Township, Bedford County, Pennsylvania.

    1841: The 2001 Whisker & Yantz book indicates that John Amos is identified as a gunsmith in the 1841 tax roll.

    1843: According to Kauffman's 1960 book "The Pennsylvania - Kentucky Rifle", John Amos is identified as a gunsmith in the 1843 tax list of Bedford Township, and was among the foremost craftsman of Bedford County.

    1843: The Whiskers' 1983 booklet indicates that John Amos appears in a bond record for the estate of tavern keeper Humphrey Dillon on December 11, 1843.

    1843: The obituary of Sarah (Amos) Bagley appears in the Nov. 26, 1931 issue of the "Bedford Gazette newspaper, and indicates she was a daughter of John and Rebecca Border Amos and was born in 1843: "Mrs. Sarah Jane Bagley, prominent resident of Bedford, died on Saturday afternoon at 2;30 o'clock at the home of her son, Chas. T. Bagley of Bedford, Rt. 2, of a complication of diseases after three week's illness. She was born in Bedford Jan. 20, 1843, a daughter of John and Rebecca Border Amos, both deceased. Surviving are the following sons and daughters: Mrs. Myrtle Kimmell, Mrs. Ida Stickler, Miss Sarah Bagley and Charles T. Bagley, all of Bedford; Mrs. Irvin Imler and Mrs. H.F. Reese, both of Clearfield, and Mrs. D. O. Nelson. She is also survived by 20 grandchildren and 22 great-grandchildren. Funeral services were conducted Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from the late home in charge of Rev. G.A. Duvall, pastor of the M. E. Church here. Interment followed in the Bedford Cemetery." Sarah's death certificate identifies the names of her parents, and indicates she was born in 1843.

    The death certificate of Sarah (Amos) Bagley.

    1843: The 1953 edition of the book "American Gun Makers" puts John Amos in the borough of Bedford in the 1840s, references the 1843 tax roll, and references a percussion rifle with "J. A" on the lock and a stock made from apple wood.

    1844: The 2001 Whisker & Yantz book indicates that John Amos is identified as a gunsmith in the 1844 tax roll, and in 1844 his property value was assessed at $2,075.00. The Whiskers' 2017 book indicates that this is the last year John Amos is identified as a gunsmith in the tax roll.

    1845: Based on the 1850 census, John Amos had a son named Francis M. Amos who was born circa 1845. Francis is buried at the Bedford Cemetery in Bedford County, Pennsylvania where his tombstone inscription states, "Francis Marion Amos 1845-1914".

    1847: The obituary of Josiah Amos appears in the March 14, 1902 issue of the "Bedford Gazette" newspaper, and includes the following "Josiah Amos was born in Bedford township on December 2, 1847, and was a son of John and Rebecca Amos. He began teaching school when fifteen years of age..." In the November 2021 issue of the "Muzzle Blasts" magazine, Jim Whisker gives the name of this son as Josiah Joseph Amos.

    1847: The Whiskers' 1983 booklet indicates that John Amos served on a Grand Jury in 1847. The Whiskers' 2017 book indicates that the 1847 income of the gunsmith John Amos was $1,033.00.

    1849: The 2001 Whisker & Yantz book states that a nephew Daniel B. Border was living on the property of John Amos in 1849. The book indicates that a few rifles have engravings that include the names Amos and Border, and these rifles may be the product of John Amos and his nephew Daniel B. Border. In his book "The Bedford County Rifle and its Makers", Calvin Hetrick states that the "Amos & Border Company" was a partnership between John Amos and Daniel Border, and mistakenly describes them as brothers-in-law. Hetrick praises Amos as a skillful gunsmith, and one of the best in Bedford County.

    The following excerpt from the 1884 book "History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties Pennsylvania" indicates that John Amos was a prominent School Director in Bedford County:

    This book  indicates that John Amos was a School Director in Bedford County, Pennsylvania.

    1850: The following composite image from the 1850 census records of Bedford Township indicates John Amos was born in Pennsylvania. The Daniel B. Border and John Amos households are listed sequentially, suggesting they lived near one another. Daniel B. Border is identified as a gunsmith.

    Daniel B. Border and John Amos households in the 1850 census of Bedford Township, Bedford County, Pennsylvania.

    1855: The following item from the February 9, 1855 "Bedford Gazette" shows John Amos serving as a tax collector. The same list is published in the February 16, 1855 issue.

    John Amos was serving as a tax collector in 1855.

    1855: The following announcement of the marriage of John Amos, Jr. is from the May 11, 1855 issue of the "Bedford Gazette".

    Newspaper announcement of the marriage of John Amos, Jr.

    1856: The following excerpt is from a long list of Poor House payments that was published in the March 28, 1856 issue of the "Bedford Gazette". It shows that John Amos was paid for supplying apples to the Poor House. The same payment is listed in the March 21, 1856 issue.

    John Amos was paid for supplying apples to the Poor House in 1856.

    1856: The following item is from the October 3, 1856 "Bedford Gazette", and indicates that John Amos was appointed as a Vice President of the Democratic Committee of Bedford Township.

    John Amos was appointed as a Vice President of the Democratic Committee of Bedford Township, Bedford County, Pennsylvania in 1856.

    1857: Click here to read a lengthy article from the February 13, 1857 "Bedford Gazette" titled "Great Mass Meeting of the Democracy of Bedford County" that mentions John Amos.

    1857: The following is an excerpt from a Poor House report that was published in the March 27, 1857 issue of the Bedford Gazette. It shows John Amos being paid for providing straw. The report was also published in the April 10, 1857 issue of the "Bedford Inquirer and Chronicle".

    John Amos was paid for providing straw ti the Poor House in 1857.

    1857: Click here to read a lengthily article from the May 8, 1857 "Bedford Gazette" titled "Democratic County Meeting" that mentions John Amos.

    1857: The following item is from the June 26, 1857 issue of the "Bedford Inquirer". Although the original Locofoco faction of the Democratic Party had died out by the mid-1840s, it continued to be used as a derogatory name for the entire Democratic Party.

    John Amos lost a bid to be elected as the Director of the Poor House.

    1857: The following item from the July 3, 1857 "Bedford Gazette" shows a John Amos of Bedford Township attending the Bedford County Democratic convention.

    An 1857 newspaper article indicates that John Amos attended the Bedford County Democratic convention.

    1857: Click here to read a lengthily article from the November 6, 1857 "Bedford Gazette" that mentions prizes won by John Amos from the Bedford County Agricultural Society".

    The same news is covered by the November 6, 1857 "Bedford Inquirer and Chronicle".

    1858: The following excerpt is from a lengthily account statement of the Poor House in the March 19, 1858 issue of the "Bedford Gazette", and shows payments to John Amos for corn and straw. The same payments are documented in the March 5, 1858 issue of the "Bedford Inquirer" and the February 19, 1858 and March 12, 1858 issues of the "Bedford Gazette". Click here to see an example of a Poor House report from the March 5, 1858 "Bedford Inquirer".

    John Amos was paid for corn and straw.

    1858: The following notice from the March 28, 1858 "Bedford Gazette" indicates that John Amos of Bedford Township was elected to serve as a Justice of the Peace in Bedford Township.

    John Amos was elected to serve as a Justice of the Peace in Bedford Township, Bedford County, Pennsylvania.

    1858: The following excerpt from the 1884 book "History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties Pennsylvania" indicates that John Amos was elected as Director of the Poor in Bedford County in 1858.

    John Amos was elected as Director of the Poor in Bedford County in 1858.

    1858: The following item appears in the July 2, 1858 issue of the "Bedford Inquirer", and maligns John Amos as "The candidate for Poor Director is especially unfit, and as decidedly unpopular..."

    A newspaper article maligning John Amos.

    1858: Click here to read a lengthily article titled "From Washington" that was published in the August 6, 1858 "Bedford Gazette" and mentions John Amos.

    1858: The following advertisement was published in the upper left-hand corner of page 2 of the July 2, 1858 issue of the "Bedford Gazette", and promotes John Amos of Bedford Township as Poor House Director. It also appeared in the July 9, 1858, July 16, 1858, August 13, 1858, August 20, 1858, August 27, 1858, September 3, 1858, September 10, 1858, September 24, 1858, and October 8, 1858 issues.

    An 1858 advertisement promoting John Amos as Poor House Director.

    1858: The following item was published in the October 1, 1858 issue of the "Bedford Gazette", and promotes John Amos of Bedford Township, saying he "is well known to our readers as man of good, strong, common sense and as a Democrat who has never flinched. He is the very man for Poor House Director."

    An 1858 article promoting John Amos as Poor House Director.

    1858: The following rant against John Amos appeared in the October 8, 1858 issue of the "Bedford Inquirer":

    A newspaper rant against John Amos.

    Christian M. Stouffer's wife Mary Ellen (Amos) Stouffer died in 1894 and is buried in the Schellsburg Cemetery. Her tombstone inscription includes the following, "Mary E. wife of C.M. Stouffer".

    1858: The following notice is from the November 5, 1858 issue of the "Bedford Inquirer".

    John Amos was drawn to serve as a Petit Juror in 1858.

    1858: The following item from the November 12, 1858 "Bedford Inquirer" provides a clue about the location of the farm of John Amos, suggesting it is about a mile from the Borough of Bedford.

     A newspaper advertisement provides a clue about the location of the farm of John Amos.

    1858: The following advertisement is from the November 26, 1858 issue of the "Bedford Inquirer". The same advertisement was published in the December 3, 1858 issue. The advertisement documents John Amos serving as a Director of the Poor House.

    An advertisement documents John Amos serving as a Director of the Poor House.

    1858: The following advertisement is from the December 3, 1858 issue of the "Bedford Gazette", and is substantially the same as the advertisement published in the "Bedford Inquirer".

    A Poor House notice identifies John Amos as a Director of the Poor House.

    1858: The following item is from the December 10, 1858 issue of the "Bedford Gazette", and gloats that contrary to the pre-election warning, John Amos did not appoint his son as Steward of the Poor House, and did not appoint Christian Stouffer as the Miller of the Poor House.

    An 1858 newspaper article that mentions John Amos.

    1858: The following item is from the December 24, 1858 issue of the "Bedford Gazette", and suggests that the local Democrats are opposed to the Abolitionists (i.e., the people who wanted to abolish slavery).

    Another 1858 newspaper article mentions John Amos.

    1859: The following is a portion of a lengthily Poor House account published in the March 18, 1859 issue of the "Bedford Inquirer", and shows John Amos serving as a Director. The report is also included in the March 4, 1859 and March 25, 1859 issues of the "Bedford Gazette" and the March 25, 1859 issue of the "Bedford Inquirer".

    The Poor House account  shows John Amos serving as a Director.

    1859: The following item appeared in the September 30, 1859 issue of the "Bedford Gazette", and exhibits a deep animosity toward Republican Abolutionists.

    A political article in a newspaper mentions John Amos.

    1859: The following advertisement by the Democrat Party is from the October 7, 1859 "Bedford Gazette", and shows the local members of the party to be opposed to miscegenation between blacks and whites.

    An 1859 newspaper article mentions John Amos.

    1860: The following excerpt from a Poor House report is from the March 30, 1860 "Bedford Gazette", and shows John Amos receiving a six-month salary of ten dollars for serving as a Director of the Poor House. The report, formatted differently, is also included in the March 30, 1860, April 6, 1860, and April 13, 1860 issues of the "Bedford Inquirer".

    John Amos received a six-month salary of ten dollars for serving as a Director of the Poor House.

    1860: The following item appeared in the June 15, 1860 issue of the "Bedford Gazette":

    An 1860 newspaper political article mentions John Amos.

    1860: The following composite image from the 1860 census records of Bedford Township indicates that John Amos was born in Pennsylvania:

    The John Amos household in the 1860 census of Bedford Township, Bedford County, Pennsylvania.

    1860: The following item appeared in the September 28, 1860 issue of the "Bedford Gazette". It also appeared in the September 14, 1860 issue. It documents John Amos as still serving as a Director of the Poor House.

    John Amos serving as a Director of the Poor House in 1860.

    1861: The 1861 Walker map of Bedford County, which follows, identifies the residence of John Amos north of the town of Bedford. The location of the residence is along a readily identifiable stretch of Briar Valley Road (T479).

    An 1861 map identifies the location of the residence of John Amos north of the town of Bedford, Pennsylvania.

    1861: The following excerpt shows a portion of a large Poor House report that was published in the March 15, 1861 issue of the "Bedford Inquirer". It shows John Amos still serving as a Director of the Poor House. The report was also published in the March 8, 1861 and March 15, 1861 issues of the "Bedford Gazette".

    An 1861 Poor House report indicates John Amos was serving as a Director of the Poor House.

    1861: Click here to read a lengthily article from the August 23, 1861 "Bedford Gazette" titled "Union Meeting" that was endorsed by John Amos.

    1861: Click here to read a lengthily article from the August 30, 1861 "Bedford Gazette" titled "Union Meeting" that is endorsed by John Amos. The big difference between this article and the August 23, 1861 article with the same title is the number of endorsers.

    1861: In her 2009 "The Biography of John B. Amos, Civil War Veteran", Ann Sinton indicates that John Border Amos, a son of the gunsmith John Amos, mustered into the Union Army on October 12, 1861 as a private. During the time John Border Amos is in the military, any reference to political activity by a John Amos in Bedford County cannot be a reference to John Border Amos.

    1862: The following item from the May 9, 1862 "Bedford Gazette" documents John Amos, Jr. sending money home to his father from the Army.

    A record of John Amos, Jr. sending money home to his father from the Army

    1863: The following excerpt from a Poor House report is from the March 20, 1863 issue of the "Bedford Gazette". It shows that John Amos is no longer a Director of the Poor House, and shows him receiving a payment of $16.60 for work. The report is also published in the April 3, 1863 and April 10, 1863 issues, which are more legible.

    John Amos was no longer a Director of the Poor House.

    1863: Click here to read a lengthily article from the May 8, 1863 "Bedford Gazette" titled "The Democracy in Council" that mentions John Amos.

    1863: The following item is from the June 26, 1863 issue of the "Bedford Gazette", and mentions John Amos of Bedford Township.

    An article about the Democratic County Convention mentions John Amos.

    1863: The following item is from the October 30, 1863 issue of the "Bedford Gazette".

     A large black bear raided the corn field of John Amos.

    1864: The following advertisement from the February 12, 1864 issue of the "Bedford Gazette" provides a clue regarding the general location of John Amos's farm, and confirms the location identified on the Walker map above.

    An advertisement mentions the land of John Amos.

    1864: The following item in the June 3, 1864 "Bedford Inquirer" indicates that John Amos, Jr. has been wounded during his Army service.

    John Amos, Jr. was wounded during his Army service.

    1864-ish to ?: According to the Whiskers' 1983 booklet, records from the Orphan's Court of Bedford County show that John Amos represented the John Border family in the legal activities relating to the settlement concerning John Border's 1964 death in a railroad accident.

    1865: The following item was published in the February 10, 1865 issue of the "Bedford Gazette".

    John Amos was a secretary at a Ratification meeting.

    1865: The following notice was published in the April 28, 1865 issue of the "Bedford Gazette". The same juror lists were published in the April 7, 1865, April 14, 1865, April 21, 1865, and April 28, 1865 issues of the "Bedford Inquirer".

    John Amos, Sr. was drawn to serve as a Petit Juror in 1865.

    1865: In her 2009 "The Biography of John B. Amos, Civil War Veteran", Ann Sinton indicates that John Border Amos, a son of the gunsmith John Amos, was mustered out of the Union Army on August 30, 1865 in Petersburg, Virginia.

    1866: The following item appeared in the February 2, 1866 issue of the "Bedford Gazette". The same list appears in a more organized column format in the January 19, 1866, January 26, 1866, February 9, 1866 and February 16, 1866 issues. It also appears in the February 2, 1866 issue of the "Bedford Inquirer".

    John Amos was chosen as a Juror for a special term in 1866.

    1867: Click here to read a lengthily article from the February 15, 1867 "Bedford Gazette" titled "The Congressional Revolutionists hear from the people" that mentions John Amos.

    1867: The following announcement appeared in the March 22, 1867 "Bedford Inquirer", and shows that in his last year of life, John Amos of Bedford Township was elected to serve as an Assistant Assessor.

    John Amos was elected to serve as an Assistant Assessor.

    1867: The following item appeared in the March 29, 1867 issue of the "Bedford Gazette", and also shows that John Amos of Bedford Township was elected to serve as an Assistant Assessor.

    Another 1867 article indicates that John Amos was elected to serve as an Assistant Assessor.

    1867 (John Amos death): The following notice of John Amos's death appears in the November 1, 1867 issue of the "Bedford Gazette":

    The death of John Amos is announced in the newspaper.

    1867: The November 15, 1867 issue of the "Bedford Inquirer" carries the obituary of gunsmith John Amos and the marriage announcement of the gunsmith Lawrence Defibaugh. The obituary indicates that John Amos died on October 27, 1867.

    The obituary of John Amos.

    1867: John and Rebecca (Border) Amos are buried in the Bedford Cemetery in the town of Bedford, Pennsylvania. A broken tombstone at the Bedford Cemetery states, "John Amos died Oct. 28, 1867, aged 67 ys. 1 mo. 11 ds." Another tombstone commemorates both John and Rebecca. John's side of this tombstone states "John Amos died Oct. 28, 1867, aged 67 y'rs. 1 mo. 11 d'ys.". The cemetery is located at 40.02653517, -78.50128135.

    1867: The following Administrators' notice regarding the estate of John Amos was published in the January 10, 1868 issue of the "Bedford Inquirer" and was also published in the November 29, 1867, December 6, 1867, December 13, 1867, December 20, 1867, January 3, 1868, and January 24, 1868 issues. It was also published in the December 6, 1867, December 20, 1867, and January 10, 1868 issues of the "Bedford Gazette".

     An 1867 Administrators' notice regarding the estate of John Amos.

    1869: The following notice was published in the January 15, 1869 issue of the "Bedford Inquirer", and may reference the farm of John Amos, deceased. The same for sale reference to the farm was published in the March 12, 1869 issue.

    An 1869 reference to the Amos farm.

    1869: The following notice was published in the February 26, 1869 issue of the "Bedford Gazette". The same notice was published in the March 12, 1869 issue of the "Bedford Inquirer".

    An Auditor's Notice mentions John Amos.

    1869: The following legal notice concerning the estate of John Amos, Sr. was posted in the February 5, 1869 issue of the "Bedford Gazette", and also appears in the January 15, 1869, January 22, 1869, and January 29, 1869 issues. The same notice appears in the January 15, 1869, January 22, 1869, January 29, 1869, and February 5, 1869 issues of the "Bedford Inquirer".

    A  legal notice concerning the estate of John Amos, Sr.

    1870: The following composite image is from the 1870 census of Bedford Township, and lists the household of the widow Rebecca Amos:

    The widow Rebecca Amos in the 1870 census of Bedford Township, Bedford County, Pennsylvania.

    1884: The following excerpt from the 1884 book "History of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Counties Pennsylvania" indicates that Francis Marion "Frank" Amos, a son of John Amos, Sr., was a junior partner in the Union Flouring Mills at Mann's Choice, in Bedford County:

    Francis Marion Amos, a son of John Amos, Sr., was a junior partner in the Union Flouring Mills at Mann's Choice, in Bedford County.

    1888: Rebecca, wife of John Amos, died on June 7, 1888. Her side of the tombstone she shares with John Amos includes the inscription, "Rebecca Amos, died June 7, 1888, 82 yrs 9 mos 24 dys".

    John Amos work product:

  • AMOS, John, percussion "smooth rifle"

  • AMOS, John, percussion rifle

  • AMOS, John, percussion rifle found in Colorado

  • AMOS, John, percussion rifle

  • The August, 1967 issue of the "Muzzle Blasts" magazine has photographs of a relief-carved rifle by John Amos. The shape of the nose of the rat-tail lock plate is non-typical, and extends forward of the stock panel. In the nose area, the upper edge of the face lock plate is straight and is nearly aligned with the upper edge of the remainder of the lock plate. I suspect that the slight offset between the upper edge of the nose and the upper edge of the remainder of the lock plate is the result of a bevel.

    arrow Visit the Gunsmith Index for links to descriptions of other Bedford and Somerset county gunsmiths and the attractive firearms they produced.

    Go to the Korns family genealogy home page

    gunsmith project collaborative notice