Hit your refresh button to see the latest updates!
L. Dietle
The following excerpt from "McElroy's Philadelphia directory for 1844" indicates that James M. Bolton was a Forwarding Merchant at the north wharves.
Mr. DeCamp reports that "the building that the McMurtrie store was located in is still in existence at the NE corner of 4th Street and Allegheny Street in Huntingdon, PA. It is currently owned by the Historical Society and is used for exhibits periodically."
The following image is an excerpt from the "First, Second & Third Wards of Huntingdon" map in the 1873 "Atlas of Blair and Huntingdon counties, Pennsylvania". Although the map was made many years after the October 5, 1844 manifest, it still shows a McMurtrie presence at the northeast corner of Fourth Street and Allegheny Street, and shows that the McMurtrie store was located near the Pennsylvania Canal, which ran along the Juniata River.
The following excerpt is from the Birmingham-related portion of the "Warrior's Mark Township" section of the 1883 book "History of Huntingdon and Blair counties, Pennsylvania". It indicates that a Fisher & McMurtrie store had been located in Birmingham, Pennsylvania. The town of Birmingham is located about 16-1/2 road miles northwest of the town of Huntingdon.