The photos below show an antique percussion rifle that was made by the gunsmith Daniel Benjamin Troutman (1822-1891), who was a son of Benjamin Franklin Troutman. Daniel made muzzleloaders in Somerset and Bedford Counties, Pennsylvania before moving to Ottawa, Franklin County, Kansas.
The first photo, immediately below, shows the right-hand side of the buttstock. This rifle has a typical Bedford/Somerset County low comb profile, and a cap box instead of a patch box. Daniel Troutman made several muzzle loading rifles with this same style of cap box. The wrist area includes some coarse incised carving.
The following image shows the lock and trigger guard region of the D.B. Troutman percussion muzzleloader.
The next photograph shows the attractive stock panel for the single-screw lock bolt plate. Like the lock panel, this panel has a little "beaver tail".
The next photo shows the barrel signature on the D.B. Troutman rifle.
The next photo highlights the eagle-themed cheekpiece medallion on the D.B. Troutman muzzle loading rifle.
The next photo shows the left-hand side of the buttstock of the Troutman rifle, which incorporates incised carving.
The next photograph provides a bottom view of the brass trigger guard.
The next photograph features the exceptionally long toe plate of the Troutman rifle.
The next photograph provides a view of the entry pipe area of the rifle. On full stock muzzleloaders, The entry pipe is used to reinforce the area where the ramrod enters the stock.
The next photograph is an enlarged view of the commercial Goulcher-brand percussion lock on the Troutman gun.
Return to Gunsmith Index
Return to the Korns family genealogy home page