Daniel Korns, Sr. & wife Elizabeth (Reiber) Korns
Daniel Korns, Sr. genealogy material index:
1877 Daniel Korns, Sr. estate settlement document
Will of Daniel Korns, Sr., son of Michael (163 KB pdf)
Will of Jacob Reiber, Sr., the father-in-law of Daniel Korns, Sr.
Daniel Korns, Sr. side of shared tombstone
Elizabeth (Reiber) Korns side of shared tombstone
Michael Korn (Jr.) & Daniel Korn (Sr.), 1830 census, Southampton Twp., Somerset Co., PA
Pages from 1881 book on Joseph Lepley, who married Catherine Korns, daughter of Daniel Korns
Traditional birthplace of Daniel Korns, Jr.
1939 aerial photos of Daniel Korn, Sr. 1829 property
Daniel Korn sells his 1/12 right to his father's property in 1829, the year before the property was auctioned
Daniel Korns, Sr. family notes:
According to the 1949 book "The Genealogy of Michael Korns, Sr. of Somerset County Pennsylvania", Daniel Korns, Sr., the eldest son of Michael Korns, Sr., was born Dec. 24, 1782 and died August 26, 1861, and married Elizabeth Reiver, who was born August 23, 1787 and died March 13, 1873. The book also indicates that they had the following children:
- Hanna Korns, died July 19, 1831
- Jacob Korns, born Feb. 22, 1817, married Elizabeth Biesicker, 6 children: Edmund F., Catherine B., Mary B., Anna Elizabeth, Susan, Sarah Amanda.
- Daniel Korns, Jr. married Caroline Tressler; 9 children.
- Solomon Korns, born Sept. 13, 1822, married to Mary E. Fink on Sept. 5, 1847; 10 children: Elizabeth Ann, Delila, Franklin, Sara Katherine, Ellen Jane, Margaret Louisa, William Henry, Mary Matilda, Francis May, and George Washingtion Korns.
- John Korns
- Susanna Korns, who married Samuel Gaumer; 3 children: Samuel, Kate and Levi.
- Catherine Korns, who married Joseph Lepley
- Elizabeth Korns, who married Daniel Gaumer; 12 children: Rebecca, George, Hannah, Elizabeth, Delilah, Solomon, Edward, Simon, Julia, Lavina, Minerva and James.
- Mary Korns, who married Levi Shaffer, Mr. Dom and Mr. Morgan. Children with first husband: John Edward, Mary Ellen, Catherine Elizabeth, Levi Shaffer. Children to second husband: Amy CaDelila, George William Dom. Children to third husband: Laura Jane Morgan. [NOTE: On November 11, 2006 a first cousin from Somerset County PA e-mailed the following to me "I was with the Dom family the other night and they showed me a paper that showed a Mary (Korns) Shaffer that married a Josiah Dom." L. L. Dietle 11-26-2006] An article in the February, 1970 issue of the Laurel Messenger gives the Dom genealogy, and shows how a Josiah Dom fits into the Dom family. This may be the Josiah that temporarily married Mary Korns.
Daniel Korns, Sr. and his wife Elizabeth are buried in the Cook Cemetery in Southampton Township, Somerset County, PA. According to the book "Cemeteries of Somerset Co.", their tombstone markings indicate that Daniel Korns died August 20, 1861 at age 78-8-9, and Elizabeth died March 13, 1873 at age 85-6-20.
According to the 1991 book "The Reiber Genealogy" by John H. Reiber:
- Elizabeth was the daughter of Jacob Reiber and his wife Mary Ann / Anna Maria (Byers) Reiber, and was born August 23, 1787 in Monaghan Township, York County, PA. (see page 125)
- Elizabeth Reiber was baptized on February 15, 1788 in the Lower Bermudian Congregation, Latimore Township, Adams County, PA. (see page 125)
- Jacob Reiber brought his family to Southampton Township, Somerset County circa 1800. (see page 125)
- On page 565 of Somerset County Deed Book 39, recorded March 26, 1868, Elizabeth Korns, signed a release to Solomon and George Reiber regarding the estate of Jacob Reiber, Sr., and signed the release with a mark, "for and in consideration of the sum of one hundred dollars paid to me on the 2nd of October A.D. 1860 by Solomon Reiber and George Reiber, heirs of Jacob Reiber..." (see pages 131-133)
- Daniel Korn witnessed a December 3, 1832 indenture for 166.25 acres "between Jacob Reiber and Molly his wife" of Southampton Township and Peter Reiber, as recorded on pages 20-21 of Somerset County Deed Book 13 (see pages 152-155).
- Jacob Reiber, the father of Elizabeth (Reiber) Korns, was born in Upper Milford Township, Lehigh County, PA on April 29, 1765, the son of Jacob and Catherine Reiber. Jacob Reiber's wife was Anna Maria Byers, daughter of Charles and Elizabeth Byers of York County, Monaghan Township. (see page 65)
According to the 1991 book "The Reiber Genealogy" by John H. Reiber, Daniel B. Korns and Elizabeth Reiber had the following children:
- Susanna Korns, who was born July 17, 1812 in Southampton Township, Somerset Co. PA and died February 7, 1854. Circa 1831 she married Samuel Gaumer who was born in 1811, the son of Richard and Mary Ann Gaumer, also of Southampton Township. Samuel and Susanna (Korns) Gaumer moved to Victor, Iowa circa 1835. (see pages 125 & 187)
- Elizabeth Korns, who was born February 12, 1815 in Southampton Township, Somerset County, PA and died September 4, 1864. Circa 1831 she married Daniel Gaumer, the son of Richard and Mary Ann Gaumer, also of Southampton Township. Daniel Gaumer, a Southampton Township farmer, was born April 12, 1814 and died January 12, 1864. Daniel and Elizabeth (Korns) Gaumer are buried in a cemetery in Wellersburg. (see pages 125 & 187)
- Jacob Korns, who was born February 22, 1817 in Southampton Township, Somerset County, PA and died June 23, 1911, and who on June 17, 1842 married Elizabeth Bisecker who was born October 9, 1817 and died November 30, 1887. Before migrating to Iowa in 1857, Jacob was an Innkeeper and Farmer in Southampton Township. In Iowa, he had a rental farm in Carnsworth, and at a later date moved to Iowa City, Johnson County. After his wife Elizabeth died, Jacob married Mary Goldsmith. Jacob and Mary were married on July 31, 1889. (see pages 125 & 188)
- Daniel Korns who was a Southampton Township Farmer, was born in April of 1820 in Southampton Township, Somerset County, PA. He married Caroline Tressler who was born in November of 1824 or 1825. (see pages 125 & 188)
- Solomon Korns who was born September 13, 1822 in Southampton Township, Somerset County, PA and died June 30 1901. He married Mary E. Fink who was born November 7, 1825. They were married in Wellersburg on September 5, 1847. Before moving to Knox County, Illinois circa 1856, he was living in Wellersburg PA as a School Teacher, Squire and Wagon-maker. He moved to Henderson County Illinois circa 1860, to Tama County, Iowa in 1864, and to Putnam County, Missouri in 1866. In Putnam County, he was a Farmer and mill worker. (see pages 125 & 189)
- Mary Korns, who was born circa 1826, in Southampton Township, Somerset County, PA, and who first married Levi Shaffer, a Blacksmith, circa 1846, then Mr. Dom circa 1857, then Mr. Morgan circa 1868. She had four children (John Edward, Mary Ellen, Catherine Elizabeth & Levi) with Levi Shaffer, two (Amy Cadelia & George William) with Mr. Dom, and a daughter Laura with Mr. Morgan. (see pages 125 & 190)
- Catherine (Polly) Korns, who was born April 20, 1827 in Southampton Township, Somerset County, PA, and was baptized June 24, 1827 at a church in Wellersburg. She married Joseph Lepley who was born circa 1825. They had a son Daniel K. Lepley, who was born in 1846. (see pages 125, 190 & 191)
- John Korns who was born June 24, 1829 in Southampton Township, Somerset County, PA. He was baptized July 12, 1829 in a Wellersburg Church, with sponsors Michael and Johanna Korns. Circa 1850 John Korns married Louisa ________ who was born circa 1832. John went west with his brothers Solomon and Jacob in 1855.
- Hanna Korns who was born and died on July 19, 1831.
Daniel Korns, Sr. and Jacob Riber are enumerated in the 1817 Triennial Assessment for Southampton Township, Somerset Co., PA that was performed by Jacob Martz.
Daniel Korns, Sr. apparently had a coal mine on his property, according to a circa 1841 report by Walter R. Johnson.
Return to the Korns family genealogy home page