What you can do to help Korns.org
Korns.org facilitates the sharing of historical evidence
The author W. H. Auden wrote that "History is, strictly speaking, the study of questions...". The main objective of Korns.org is to facilitate the sharing of historical evidence among Korns family researchers, so that we can ask our own questions, and use our powers of reasoning to weigh the evidence for ourselves.
What everyone can do to help this site:
- Mail or e-mail your Korns family photographs, tombstone photographs, wills, bible records, biographical sketches, marriage announcements, pre-1935 obituaries, church records, deeds, census records, etc.
- Provide copies of Korns-related information from old county history books.
- E-mail us about your Korns family traditions and genealogy.
- Suggest links to other sites that would be of interest to Korns descendants.
- Tell other Korns descendants about this family history site.
- Report errors and broken links.
- Provide a link on your website to this one: https://korns.org .
- Review the inferences presented on the website and provide feedback.
Need this information from publications:
- If you have the book "Mongst The Hills of Somerset", please forward the Korns-related pages, as I have permission to transcribe them and include them on Korns.org. So far, I only have one relevant page (248).
- Need the Korns information from the 1977 book "This I Remember: Including Breniman and Gaumer Genealogy Notes" by Mildred Breniman Belknap
- Need the Korns information from pages 94 and 102 of the book "history of Allegheny county Maryland" By James W. Thomas.
- Need the information on Robert Fulton Korns from the 1971 book "American men and women of science: The Physical and Biological Sciences"
by Jaques Cattell.
- Need the information on Clark E. Korns from page 68 of" Ohio Historical Collections", v.10.
- Need the information on Joseph H. Korns from page 60 of the 1989 book "The Schempp Family History" by George Christian Schempp.
- Need the information on Oliver D. Mast and wife Mabel Korns from page 41 of the 1989 book "A Brief History of Bishop Jacob Mast and Other Mast Pioneers".
- Need the information on Virgil Korns from page 63 of the 2002 book "History of United States Naval Operations in World War II".
- Need the Korns information from the 1960 book "American Men of Science: A Biographical Directory".
- Need the biography of Dr. John H. Korns from "Who's who in New York (city and State)", 1947.
- Need the information on Robert F. Korns from "A rhetoric case book"
By Connolly & Levin, 1969.
- Need the Louisa Emrick Korns information from the "Emerick Family Newsletter" No. 8 (winter 1985).
- Need the Korns and Uhl information from the 1964 book "The Henckel Genealogy, 1500-1960 Ancestry and Descendants of Reverend Anthony Jacob Henckel, 1668-1728, Pioneer Evangelical Lutheran Minister, Emigrant from the German Palatinate to America in 1717".
- Need a copy of the science problem posed by Charles H. Korns, Bradford, Pa in the 1901 book "School Science and Mathematics".
- Need the biography of William R. Korns from page 157 of the 1957 "The Pennsylvania Manual".
- Need the Korns information in the 1994 "Questionable Practices Concerning the Navy's Acquisition of ADP Equipment: Hearings Before the Legislation and National Security Subcommittee of the Committee on Government Operations, House of Representatives, One Hundred First Congress, First Session, November 8, 9, 14, 15, 16, and 20, 1989", US Government Printing Office.
- Need the Korns information on page 1740 of the "Daughters of the American Revolution Magazine", which mentions Jacob Korns' birth certificate.
- Need the Korns information on page 1029 of "The Shockey Chronicles: Biographical Annals of the Shockey Family ".
- Need the Korns information on page 509 of the 1900 "R.L. Polk & Co.'s Des Moines City, Valley Junction and Polk County Directory", which indicates that Francis R. Korns was living there.
- Need a copy of the 2005 book "Samuel Trawin Little, Maria Catharine Korns" by Donald Townsend Little.
- Need the information on Robert F. Korns in the 1967 book "Reflections on a life in medicine and science".
- Need the information on Robert F. Korns from the 1953 book "Eleven Blue Men" by Berton Rouech.
- Need a copy of the Korns information from the 1997 book "The Sons and Daughters of Calvin and Jennie Groff Including Their Ancestors: Graf, Lepley, Beal, Korns, Wingenroth and Dunseth".
- Need a copy of the Korns information from the 1991 book "My Midwestern Cousins: Hoyman, Uhl, Korns" by David L. Baldwin.
- Need a copy of the Korns information from the 1998 book "The Life of Matthias Harvye and Family: The Life of an Early Colonist Whose Date and Place of Birth and Parentage is Unknown" by Dorothy Marty Reibold
- The Korns reference in the 1917 book "Brief History of Malvern"
by John D. Paddock.
- Korns information from the 1923 History of Allegany County, Maryland, Vol. 2; I'm missing a Korns page, but don't know which one it is. (Library catalog no. 975.2 T458 MD)
- Pages 479, 480, and 536-538 from Pennsylvania Pioneers, Vol. 1.
- Pages 941-943 of the "History Reminiscence & Biography of Western Nebraska", which references L.B. Korns.
- The biography of S. Wesley Clark that appears on pages 1744 & 1745 in Vol. II of the 1904 "History of South Dakota" by Doane Robinson, because it briefly mentions F.B. or E.B. Korns, which may relate to the E.B. Korns who was the son of Joseph Korns and Martha Moore, and the brother of Lewis F. Korns. This is available at the Houston central library, catalog no. 978.3 R56 (special collections, appointment only).
- Any Korns info that may be in the Cohshocton County, Ohio history that is available on Microfilm at the Clayton Library, Houston, TX.
- The alleged page from the book "The Boucher Family" by Franklin A Burkhardt that says that Susannah Bauscher, Born, 28 Sep 1762, in Pennsylvania, Died, 10 May 1811, married Michael Korn? I've heard it said that it is there, but I've reviewed the book and can't find the passage.
- Who can provide copies of the Korns Family Papers, MS-615, at the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio??
- The page where Ed. F. Korns is listed in the Phillips County section of William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas as being a part owner of Phillipsburg Herald. There is also a biography of him; may be the same page.(Available on Microfilm at the Central Houston TX library)
- The page from Andreas' history of the State of Nebraska that mentions Lewis Korns?
- The page in the 1997 book "The Foxworthy-Fallon Siblings." that references a Caty Korn, to see if it has any relation to the Caty Korn name written in a Somerset County book.. (Available from L-AGS, P.O. Box 901, Livermore, CA 94551-0901.)
- The Lewis B. Korns reference in the "1893 Roster of Nebraska Veterans".
- Any Korns references in the Coshocton Morning Tribune (Newspaper), Coshocton, Ohio.
- Need pages 307-327 from "The Province and the States", edited by
Weston Arthur Goodspeed, LL. B., Editor-in-Chief, Vol. VI (1904) to obtain E.B. Korns citation and relevant introductory text.
- The J. R. Korns information on page xiii from the 1928 "Utah historical quarterly" [Salt Lake City, Utah: Utah State Historical Society].
- Published histories of the 80th Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, where Daniel Korns served as first Lieutenant, Company
- The information on the Michael Korns family from page 188 of the book "Holmes County Ohio - Celebrating 175 years".
- Provide copies of early literature that can help to interpret the various materials and documents that form the basis for making historical inferences regarding the life of Michael Korn.
- Where can I see a copy of the book "The Burbach-Poorbaugh-Purbaugh Family History, 1771-1974"
by Treva E. Calder - 1976?
- Where can I see a copy of the 1919 book "Memoirs of the Miami Valley
By John Calvin Hover? Page 409 mentions a William Korns sawmill.
- Where can I see a copy of the 1989 book "A Brief History of Bishop Jacob Mast and Other Mast Pioneers..." by Christian Zook Mast? Page 41 has a mention of Oliver D. Mast's marriage. to Mabel Korns.
- Where can I see a copy of the 1957 book "History of the Corn Families of the U.S.A." by Clyde Everett Corn? Page 157 mentions Wellersburg.
- Where can I see a copy of the 2005 book "Samuel Trawin Little, Maria Catharine Korns"
by Donald Townsend Little?
- Where can I see a copy of the 1997 book "The Sons and Daughters of Calvin and Jennie Groff Including Their Ancestors ..."?
- Where can I see a copy of the 1991 book "My Midwestern Cousins: Hoyman, Uhl, Korns"
by David L Baldwin?
- Where can I see a copy of the 1985 book "Bricker Branches "
by Shirley Penna-Oakes ? Page 36 mentions Korns, perhaps this is related to C. C. Korns.
Need this census information:
- Any Korns enumerations in the Lehigh County, PA census of 1830, 1840
Need this information from the National Archives:
- The War of 1812 pension papers of Charles Korns, Sr. that are available from the National Archives?
- The Military Bounty Land Warrant of Moses Chandler bought by Charles Korns, serial entry 1833, registry entry, Feb. 3, 1824, available from the National Archives microcopy Pub. M829, Roll 1.
- The listing of the baptisms of Carl Korn's children in the list of early members of Ziegal Church that is found in the 1884 HIstory of Lehigh County.
- The Civil War Records of Henry Korns, 26th Indiana Regiment (possibly listed as John Corn).
- The Civil War Records of Charles F. Korns, 161 Ohio Infantry (National Guard), Company D, Film Number M552 roll 60.
- The Civil War Records of Charles W. Korns, 166 Ohio Infantry, Company A Film Number M552 roll 60.
- The Civil War Records of Daniel Korns, 80 Ohio Infantry, Company K, C, Film Number M552 roll 60.
- The Civil War Records of David H. Korns, 10 Illinois Cavalry, Company E, Film Number M539 roll 50.
- The Civil War Records of Edmund Korns, 5 Pennsylvania H. Artillery, Company D, Film Number M554 roll 67.
- The Civil War Records of ames Korns, 51 Ohio Infantry, Company A, Film Number M552 roll 60.
- The Civil War Records of James Korns, 16 Ohio Infantry (3 Months, 1863), Company F, Film Number M552 roll 60.
- The Civil War Records of John Korns, 166 Ohio Infantry (National Guard), Company C, K, Film Number M552 roll 60.
- The Civil War Records of Philip Korns, 87 Ohio Infantry, Company I, Film Number M552 roll 60.
- The Civil War Records of Robert Korns, 51 Ohio Infantry, Company G, E, Film Number M552 roll 60.
- The Civil War Records of Silas W. Korns, 102 Ohio Infantry, Company G, Film Number M552 roll 60.
- The Civil War Records of William Korns, 16 Ohio Infantry, Film Number M552 roll 60.
- The Civil War Records of William Korns, 13 Pennsylvania Infantry. (3 Months, 1861.), Film Number M554 roll 67.
Need this church and cemetery-related information:
- Any documents linking Carl Korn to the Longswamp Church in Berks County, PA.
- Need photos of the E.U.B. church in Wellersburg.
- Photos from the Beam Cemetery, Jenners Township, Somerset County, PA (1 mile north of Gray) for Belinda, Alexander, Edmund, Johannes and Michael Korns.
- The February 5, 1815 marriage record of Charles Korns and Catherine Uhl from St. Paul's Lutheran Church, Cumberland Maryland.
- Korns-related records from the Wellersburg Lutheran Church
- Photos from the United Brethren Cemetery, United Brethren Church of Jenners, for Simon L. and Agnes Korns.
- A photo of the tombstone of Susanna (Korns) Shearer, wife of John Shearer, and daughter of Michael Korns, Sr.. I have read that she died April 1861 in Warren Township, Marion County, Indiana. She is buried in the Old Anderson Cemetery on 10th Street.
- Documents from the Zeigel's Lutheran Church, Berks County, Pa that show September 1756, September 1757 and October 1760 baptisms of children of a Carl Korn & wife.
- The March 30, 1784 Baptism of Catherine Elizabeth Korn, daughter of Michael and Susanna Korn, with Sponsors Nicholas Kutz and Anna Lisa Bauscher that is on record at the New Bethel (AKA Corner or Rosenthal or Stone) Church, Albany or Greenwich Township, Berks County, PA (on LDS microfilm).
- The April 16, 1786 Baptism of Mary Magdalene Korn, daughter of Michael and Susanna Korn, with Sponsors Christoph (Stoffel) Miller & Otilia, that is on record at the Kirchenbuch Lutheran & Reformed Church, Leigh County, PA. Probably on LDS Microfilm 020511.
- The 1787 Baptism of Catharina, daughter of Christian Heumann and his wife Catherina, with Sponsors Christoph (Stoffel) Miller & Otilia, that is on record at the Kirchenbuch Lutheran & Reformed Church, Leigh County, PA. Probably on LDS Microfilm 020511.
- LDS film #D60947-5065 pt 1, frame 15, page 27, of the Kirchenbuch Lutheran & Reformed Church, Weissenburg Twp, Lehigh Co., PA, 1756, showing parents Jacob Witt and wife Christina, with Jacob and Catherine Korns, noted as sponsors.
- Photos of the tombstones of Catherine (Korn) Hoyman/Heilman (wife of Christian) from the Cook Cemetery, Southampton Township, Somerset PA.
Deeds, wills and estate documents:
- Somerset County Pennsylvania Korns-related deeds, including but not limited to Somerset Co. Book 8 pg. 191 2 Sept 1814 3 Oct 1818, Somerset County Book 11 pg. 462 2 Sept 1814 23 Feb 1827, and Somerset County Book 11 pg. 781 15 Sept 1828 23 Jan 1829.
- The 1760 will of Christophel Keylbach, that was attested to by Carl Korn, at the Berks County Historical Society in Reading PA.
- Allegany County Maryland Korns-related deeds, including but not limited to Book P Pg 477, 8 Jan 1832, recorded 3 Feb 1832, and Book P Pg 476 All Co MD, 28 Jan 1832, recorded 3 Jan 1832.
- Bedford County, Pennsylvania Korns-related deeds, including but not limited to Book D page 125, 18 Aug 1790, 23 Dec 1793, and Book D Page 630, 9 Feb 1796, John Tomlinson To Michael And Jacob Korns.
- The 1867 will of John Tressler from Somerset County PA willbook file 13, to try to determine if his daughter Caroline married Daniel Korns.
- Copies of, or copies of government reference to, the land warrants of Carl Korn in Maxatawney Township, Berks County, PA.
- The February 8, 1781 pettion to the Orphan's Court of Berks County, PA regarding Carl Korn.
- Somerset Co., PA, #1824-33, estate of Michael Korn
- Deed Book, Holmes County, Ohio , Dec. 14 1850, Charles Korns, age 56, served as substitute for John Witt who was drafted at Alleghany County, Maryland, 1814 (a declaration to receive bounty land).
- From the Holmes County Ohio Recorder, a copy of the 1828 land transaction where John Bavington conveyed his 1808 military service lot to Michael Korn of Somerset County Pennsylvania (Vol. 1 page 285).
- Michael Korns Letters of Administration, granted Nov. 23, 1824, Somerset County, Pa., Will Book, Vol. #2, page 424
Can you help with these?
- Any information on Michael Korn in the lists from the United States Direct Tax of 1798. For the Tax List for the State of Pennsylvania, see LDS FHL 351594-617. The PA list may also be available from the National Archives. This will provide information on dwelling house size, construction, number of windows, number of floor levels, etc. It is possible that he may be on the Maryland list, instead of, or in addition to the Pennsylvania list.
- Would it be possible to get a copy of the Korns-related genealogy files of Richard and Virginia Havens Korns for use on this website?
- What is in the Korns family file at the Hamilton Library of The Cumberland County Historical Society?
- What is in the Korns file of the Grinnell College Libraries Special Collections & Archives?
- There is a Horace Korns family materials collection at the University of Iowa Archives. If anyone is visiting there, I would appreciate a copy of that collection for the Korns.org website.
- Some people say Eberhart is the earliest known Korns ancestor. What's the proof?
- Who can send better pictures of the Michael Korns, Sr. house?
- Who can send pictures of Allen Korns' arrowheads/spearheads?
- Does anyone have better photos of the log cabin on the upper Troutman farm?
- Where can I photograph Lepley or Troutman muzzle loading rifles?
- Do genealogy books or sites exist for the other children of Carl Korn?
- Has anyone located the original Carl Korn farm in Berks County PA?
- Who has the old German books that were sold at the Allen & Gladys Korns estate sale in Southampton Township, Somerset County, PA?
- Does anyone have information on the ancestry or descendants of the William C. Korns who was a notary/JP in Cumberland, MD in the early 1900s?
- What documents support the assertion that Carl Korn's daughter Catherine married Christian Heiman/Hoyman?
- What documents support the assertion in page 306 of the book "A Clowes-Swanson Genealogy", descendants of Barbara (Korn) Uhl indicated that Barbara Korn was born in Maryland in 1797?
- Some say that the name of the wife of Jacob Knieriem / Kemerer/ Kimerer was Catherine / Katherine Baker KORNS. What is the proof that her middle name was Baker?
- What is the middle name of Daniel Korns, Sr., son of Michael Korns, Sr.? On page 77 in the book "The Genealogy of Michael Korns, Sr. of Somerset County Pennsylvania", his name is given as Daniel B. Korns.
- If available, need to find tax records of Michael and Jacob Korns/Corns in western Maryland.
- Who are the other children of Michael and Anna (Huy) Korns, and what documents support it?
- What Berks County, Pennsylvania records are available to support Dr. Korns' conclusion that Carl Korn had a son Charles who died about the same time that he did?
- What information is available on Warren's Mill in Somerset County, PA? When did it go out of business? Do any photographs of the mill exist?
- Need an inspection and photo survey of the Lepley barns, and the nearby log crib barn, for documentation of construction details and methods.
- On the Allen Korns house, is the porch integral, or an add-on?
- Who has letters from Mary Mildred (Korns) Jones, from when she was a missionary in Peru?
- Need photos of the remains of the Allen Korns and A. Lepley coal mines, in Southampton Township, Somerset County, PA.
How to donate materials To Korns.org
You can send materials by e-mail:
Return to the Korns family genealogy home page