1860 map shows Southampton Township
The map fragment shown above is from Edward J. Walker’s 1860 “Map of Somerset County, Pa.” It has a number of items of interest to Korns family researchers, including:
It shows Daniel Korns, Senior living at the intersection of the present-day Grandview Drive and Palo Alto roads, where his descendants Earl and Lester Korns later lived.
It shows where Daniel Korns, Junior lived back in Richie Hollow, along Gladdens Run. One has to wonder if the sawmill across the road was his.
It shows John Sturtz living at the farm that where Daniel Korns, Junior moved after having lived in Richie Hollow. After Daniel, the farm owned by his son John Wilson Korns, and his grandson Allen Lester Korns, and is now owned by one of Allen’s sons.
It shows the location of what became known as the Korns School, at the bottom of the hill south of John Sturtz’s House.
It shows a schoolhouse at the intersection of the present-day Hill Road and Palo Alto Road.
It shows the sawmill along the Palo Alto Road, near the intersection of Hill Road.
It shows J. Cook living at what later became known as the Blubaugh Place, which was once owned by Michael Korns, Sr.
It shows the Uhl grist mill south of Wellersburg.
It shows the Wellersburg Iron Furnace, and it shows the railroad and the related "spool road" that went all the way up to where the iron ore was mined
Return to the Korns Family Home Page