This is an index to pages that relate to the history of Barrelville, Maryland. The town was built along the old Turkey Foot Road at the intersection with a road from Wellersburg PA that was surveyed in 1804. Much of the town is located on property that settler Robert Parker was located on in 1787; lot 3350 on the Veatch map of Deakin's Survey of lots west of Fort Cumberland. This page will be added to over time, so check back occasionally, and hit your refresh button.
Barrelville is a former mining town that was also known as "Barrallville", and has had a few different companies involved since its beginnings. Many of the houses in Barrelville are similar because they were built by the mining companies. The Barrelville Mining company was incorporated in 1844. Mike McKenzie reports that people around there believe that the town got its name because barrels were manufactured there, but his research suggests that the town was actually named after Samuel B. Barrell, who, with others, founded the Barrelville Mining Company. An 1874 map shows that Barrall bought up a lot of local property.
The old Barrelville ticket office/train station was moved from its location in Barrelville, and sat for years at the location where “Mutt” Witt eventually built the brick store/gas station in Wellersburg, according to Mutt’s son Richard Witt.